Getting bored of bland chicken? Feeling uninspired? Looking for some added flavor, without a lot of added calories? Spices might be the answer!
Adding herbs and spices to your meal not only adds an additional boost of flavor, but some actually contain high amounts of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, which can help you look and feel great too! Here a couple of additions we recommend trying out the next time you cook (P.S. Chicken and meats aren’t the only things that with which these tasty additions would be good! Try adding a pinch to rice or quinoa, sprinkled on salad or eggs, or even in homemade dressing and sauces!):
1) Cilantro – great source of vitamins and antioxidants including vitamin C, potassium, zinc, dietary fiber, calcium, and magnesium; helpful in lowering LDL “bad” cholesterol.
2) Oregano – serves as natural antimicrobial which helps protect immune system from bacteria; great to eat daily for people who suffer from GI issues, menstrual cramps, and even sinus infections.
3) Dill – great anti-inflammatory; contains good source of calcium and iron.
4) Rosemary – good source of iron, calcium, and B6; is said to help with cognition, mood and stress, GI issues, and is a natural breath freshener!
5) Turmeric – major source of curcumin; GREAT anti-inflammatory; assists in relieving symptoms of arthritis, GI issues, and even diabetes.
6) Cayenne pepper – great source of antioxidants, including beta carotene; can assist in boosting metabolism, relieving migraine, joint, and nerve pain, and supports weight loss!
7) Basil – great source of vitamin K, iron, calcium, and vitamin C; natural anti-inflammatory, liver-protector, blood vessel-protector, immune booster, and anti-stress solution.
8) Garlic – natural anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory; assists in fighting cardiovascular disease, regulate blood pressure, fight viral infections, and strengthen immune system.
9) Ginger – made up of gingerol and other various compounds; assists in the stimulation of gastric juices which aids in digestion.
10) Parsley – contains nutrients such as: vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin C, zinc, and copper; assists in fighting symptoms of osteoporosis and can boost immune system.